Saturday, July 10, 2010

KISS and Make-Up


When it comes to wedding make-up, I think the old construction acronym KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) is a fitting motto. No one wants to end up looking like a drag queen on their wedding day. Unless you are a drag queen, in which case, girl - you don't need my advice.

A few things to avoid:

- Fake Tanner/Bronzer: it can make you look orange, like you're wearing super heavy make-up, give you a chin line and/or make up exceptionally out of place in your own photos (if, say, your wedding is in December in Detroit)

- Body Shimmer/Body Glitter/Fairy Dust: trust me - you're going to be glowing. It happens naturally. No need to look like late '90s raver kid meets Vegas showgirl by slathering yourself in body glitter. It's just going to end up making you look super sweaty in your photos.

- Fake Eyelashes: I know I'm going to make some enemies here. I, personally, love fake eyelashes. If I could wear them everyday I would. I think they make you look fabulous and glamourous in one move. HOWEVER, they are not for use on your wedding day, and here's why: you will cry. At some point in the day, something will happen to make you tear up. I pride myself on having a heart of stone and only welling up at sports underdog movies (a la Miracle, The Mighty Ducks, etc) and I sobbed - literally bawled - through my vows. It just happens. Something triggers you and you get emotional. Fake eyelashes & their glue unfortunately do not hold. You do not want to end up with giant fake-eyelash-spiders crawling down your face - especially not in the middle of, say, your ceremony.

When in doubt, have a professional or trusted (and experienced) friend help you. Just like your hairdo, make sure you have photos of what you want, and try to do a trial beforehand so you can correct any misguided visions before the big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment