Tuesday, June 8, 2010

There's Going to be a Disaster

The best thing my best friend (and maid-of-honor) ever said to me during my wedding planning was "you're going to disappoint at least 1 person on your wedding day and offend at least 1 other." Which may sound like a terrible thing to say to someone, until you think about it.

Weddings are so freaking stressful, mainly because you want it to feel special, because you're learning what's important to you and your fiance and because you want everyone to enjoy themselves. Well, as Abe Lincoln (my all-time favorite crush) was once paraphrased "You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time." And girl, ain't no time like a wedding to prove that old adage.

When my best friend said that to me, it was like a huge relief to know that yes, someone will be disappointed and offended no matter what I do. I, of course, was still going to try my hardest to make everything awesome, but I wasn't going to lose my mind over it because sometimes fate and Murphy's Law just take over.

Like my friend Katie whose best man fell down some stairs 6 hours before the ceremony and lost ALL of his front teeth.

Or my friend Renee, who was physically slammed up against a wall and screamed at by the groom's aunt in front of all of her guests because the venue messed up the placement of the aunt's place card and she was seated at the back table.

Or these lovely people, featured on www.someecards.com.

At least when you know that disaster - small or large - is 99% guaranteed to happen, you can accept it and move on, without stressing yourself into a teenage zit fest or turning into the next star of Bridezilla. Your wedding will happen. You will go through the day and people will show up, you will say the "i do's" and at the end of whatever happens, you will be married to the person you love.

It really is just that easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment